Expedition is a collaboration between sound artist The Dead Mauriacs (aka Olivier Prieur) and collage artist Evan Crankshaw, based on their mutual interest in treating exotica as both a subject and a material. Evan Crankshaw's 2015 collage book, also entitled Expedition, is assembled and collaged by hand from a vast archive of popular exoticist printed materials, and explores recurring motifs in expedition narratives, simultaneously evoking and alienating the exoticist fantasy.
In 2018, the book was interpreted for a live performance at Festival BBMix (Boulognes-Billancourt, France) in collaboration with The Dead Mauriacs, who created a complete exotica-concrète score accompanying projected images of the book & live narration. That collaboration can be heard on this album, an armchair-travel virtual-voyage to the heart of an imagined actual elsewhere, stitched from pieces of narcotizing fabulisms, disturbing actualities, and incomprehensibilities – an interior excursion into the exotic immensity.
- Narration read by Evan Crankshaw, with text excerpted from his collage book, Expedition.
- All text was created by a collage method using Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki as the source.
- Music by The Dead Mauriacs
- This record is based on a collaboration performed at BBMix in Boulogne-Billancourt, France
- Mastering by Joshua Stevenbson (Otic Sound, Canada)
- Artwork by Evan Crankshaw
- Thanks to Marie-Pierre Bonniol, Norscq, Stéphane Deraime and Raleigh Gardinier
- Limited CD in vinyl 350grm gatefold sleeve replica (300 only)
- Digital (Bandcamp only - no streaming)
Tags: Exotica, Collage, Experimental, Narration, Spoken-word, Ambient, Musique Concrète, field recordings,
© 2021 Evan Crankshaw & The Dead Mauriacs ℗ 2021 Akuphone