As a musician, Raed Yassin has been a key member in the Lebanese underground music scene for many years. One of the organisers of the Irtijal Festival of Experimental Music from its early beginnings, he founded his concept music label Annihaya in 2009. He is a member of several bands and groups, including “A” Trio, PRAED among others. As a double bassist, he developed a personal and independent extended technique, by employing different preparations and objects on his instrument. His interest here relies heavily on textures, energies and vibrations, the density of volume and sound, rather than conventional melodic structures.
Also an electronic musician and experimental turntablist, his approach to vinyl ranges from deconstructing Arab pop music, to reexamining the traditional music archives of countries from the global south.
With his duo band PRAED (along with Paed Conca), he acts as the lead singer and synth player, merging free jazz with psychedelic rock and Egyptian Shaabi music
# Sampling, Electronic, Experimental, Avant-garde, Arabic Classical
Discography (Akuphone only)
- Archeophony. 2020 (LP/DL AKU1027)
- Art Papers | Raed Yassin: Yassin Haute Couture by Reem Salha Fadda
- Autre Magazine | Sex, spies, and the suicide dancer by Oliver Kupper
- Art Asia Pacific | How to Read Raed Yassin by Stephanie Bailey
- The Wire: The Heavy Monster Sound by Clive Bell