Jac Berrocal, Vincent Epplay, David Fenech
The dynamic trio Jac Berrocal, Vincent Epplay, David Fenech’s fourth album, Transcodex, is a new masterpiece of future jazz, hanging somewhere between Suicide and Toshinori Kondo. It breaks all the genre’s codes, abolishing stylistic borders to generate a dark, cinematographic atmosphere. It was created with the exceptional collaboration of Jah Wobble (Public Image Ltd, Invaders of The Heart) and Jean-Hervé Peron (Faust).
Jac Berrocal, Vincent Epplay, David Fenech are back with a true gem of an album: Transcodex. Turning more towards pop than in their beginnings, this fourth record follows the footsteps of their previous album, Exterior Lux. The trio seems limitless: they experiment with a large variety of styles (pop, dub, electronica, dark jazz), always colored by their very own touch. Jac Berrocal’s trumpet, richer than ever, plays over an ever-changing sonic landscape engineered by the duet of musicians/producers Vincent Epplay and David Fenech.
For this album, they invited two amazing musicians. Jah Wobble (founding member of Public Image Ltd and collaborator of African Head Charge, Brian Eno, Holger Czukay, Jaki Liebezeit, Evan Parker, Sinéad O'Connor) plays deep bass lines on two tracks. Jean-Hervé Peron (founding member of the German band Faust, and who recorded with Tony Conrad, Nurse With Wound, Pascal Comelade) brings his prowess to two tracks as well. Peron writes lyrics in French, German and Russian — and plays the French Horn like no one else.
The closing track of the A side is a tribute to Christophe Bevilacqua (1945-2020), friend to Jac Berrocal. The song summons the place Bevilacqua used to live in: an Art Deco flat on Boulevard du Montparnasse, Paris. Even if its intentions are clear, Transcodex does not reveal all its secrets right away. It’s up to you to find the solution, the key, the Transcodex yourself. It must be revisited over and over again for its beauty to be fully revealed.
- Jac Berrocal: Trumpet, Voice
- David Fenech: Voice, Lyrics, Drum Processing, Electric Bass, Electric Guitar, Rhythmic Patterns, Hand Clapping, Electronic Rhythm, Percussion,
- Vincent Epplay: Synthesizer, Electronics, Voice, Sampling, Persephone, Effects, Drums, Field Recordings
- All tracks written by Jac Berrocal, David Fenech, Vincent Epplay
- Recorded and mixed by David Fenech and Vincent Epplay 2020 – 2022 in Paris and Villejuif
- Cover design by Vincent Epplay
- Limited 12'' vinyl printed on reverse cardboard (500 only)
- Digital and streaming
© 2022 Berrocal, Epplay, Fenech ℗ 2022 Akuphone